Breck School faced off against University School of Milwaukee today at 2:00 pm during the Herb Brooks Holiday Classic. University School fell to Sartell- St. Stephen last night in overtime 3-4 and Breck lost to Hudson 1-4. These two teams put up an even battle throughout the game, University School came out fast in the first period and it took until the second for Breck to kick it into gear. The score was 1-0 University in the first period, the score climbed to 2-1 during the second and finished off 5-3. Breck School will play tomorrow (Sat. 28th) against Rogers in the Consolation Championship at 2:00 PM Super Rink #4.
University School of Milwaukee: University faced a tough opponent last night when they played Sartell- St. Stephen and they ultimately fell in overtime. That game, like this one, was very back and forth throughout the whole contest. This team has strong chemistry and they work well with one another. They are a very well-conditioned team and their athletes move quickly around the ice. University School of Milwaukee is 5-3 on the season and is one of three out of state teams in this tournament.
- #25: Blake Carey- Senior Forward: Blake is a well-rounded hockey player, he is fast, smart, physical, and passes the puck well. He has 1 goal and 8 assists on the season, his effort level proves to me he will only be inflating those numbers as the season progresses. Blake is a Hustler, he is constantly working and trying to set his linemates up for big plays. Look to Blake Carey to help lead this team throughout their season.
- #9: Benjamin Moalusi- Freshman Forward: Benjamin puts out a great effort, he is able to maneuver around defenders and find the puck. He utilizes his size and speed to make himself a versatile weapon for University School. Benjamin has 1 goal on the season, although he is only a freshman he plays with the best of them and gives the opposing players a run for their money.
- #17: Reid Woods- Junior Forward: Reid is a hard-working athlete who drives to the puck, passes well in coverage, and takes his shot when he sees the opportunity. He had a goal in last night’s contest against Sartell and he hustled all game against Breck. Reid is strong on his skates and he has good hands which makes him hard to defend.
Breck School: Breck has played hard all tournament long, they have come up against a couple of worthy opponents in Hudson and University School of Milwaukee. They are 4-6 on the season and they face a hard schedule all year long. Breck plays well together and they communicate efficiently. Their players gave it their all in the past two games and have put up a good showing in this tournament so far.
- #22: Beau Courneya- Junior Forward: Beau had some excellent face-off wins today against Breck, he won the majority of the ones he took. Beau had an open-net goal late in the third period. He is a team player and moves the puck around well. Beau hustles all game long and is a leader on the ice. He has 8 goals and 6 assists on the season so far and should be able to inflate the numbers naturally.
- #21: Nick Mikan- Sophomore Forward: Nick is a physical hockey player who packs a hard shot. He had a hat trick in the third period to bring Breck to the lead, 4-2 with two snipes from the blue line. Nick rushes to the puck and is looking to make smart plays while remaining calm, he does a good job setting up his teammates. He has 5 goals and 3 assists on the season and gives 100 percent effort when he is on the ice. Expect Nick Mikan to keep scoring goals as the season progresses.
- #20: Ty Hogan- Sophomore Defender: Ty is a good defenseman and he plays the body well. He also rushes to the puck to make a big stop and help his team advance into the offensive zone. Ty skated the puck up a couple of times in today’s game and his stickhandling ability helped him be successful. He is a team player and is one of Breck’s strongest defenders.